The Speak Your Mind campaign is an initiative of a UK-based NGO, United for Global Mental Health, alongside civil society organisations from 15 countries from across the world. United for Global Mental Health (UGMH) was founded to create a united, worldwide effort to bring about greater action on global mental health.
The South African campaign launch presented an opportunity to garner support for the campaign whilst also gaining input from people for different societal stratas. This was guided by the Speak Your Mind campaign’s 5 directorial action areas, namely:
- national and international frameworks,
- monetary considerations,
- service provisions,
- mental health care users and awareness and
- knowledge creation.
It was evident that there is enthusiasm and a collective effort both nationally and globally to end the silence and bring about greater action on global mental health with the theme mental health for all being the primary focus of the campaign.
We thank all participants for their meaningful contribution during the Global Mental Health Campaign soft launch. We are confident that our united efforts will assist with fast-tracking the rights of people with mental disabilities.
Here are three actions you can take to support Speak Your Mind:
- Sign up to the campaign, read the manifesto and pledge to make change happen (www.gospeakyourmind.org)
- Show your support through posting on social media using #SpeakYourMind
- Share the campaign with your networks to grow the movement fighting for action